Authorities say the economy is to blame for this huge spike in burglaries. They tell us the crimes are mostly occurring at apartments in Northwest Austin. The biggest ticket items crooks are after? Authorities say it’s flat screen TV’s and GPS systems.
A reminder to lock it up.
I don’t want to live in an unsafe place. Everyone should check out the Austin Police department records. I am even a fan of having a gun at your place.
I don’t care at all about those security gates at apartments. They don’t make me feel any safer. They shouldn’t make you feel any safer.
1. They don’t keep anyone out. You usually don’t even have to tell the pizza guy or cab drivers what the code is.
2. Even if they theoretically kept people out, my experience is that they are broken at least a quarter of the time.
3. Since they don’t keep anyone out, time spent pushing in your code or waving your card and waiting for it to open is wasted time.
4. How annoying is it to roll down your window when it is raining to punch in code/wave card?
4. It is even harder to get friends in…especially if you don’t have a local phone number.
As far as I can tell, security gates are almost all downside and essentially no upside. Am I missing something?
UPDATE: I have found this site and feel it is much easier to use than the police site for checking crime histories Crimespot
UPDATE 2: Austin Police are now using this site to track crime. Similar to Crimespot, but it also enables people to report information anonymously.
UPDATE 3: Another cool crime visualization map. Don’t necessarily need an exact address Trulia Crime Map