Rep. Elliott Naishtat of Austin has filed House Bill 2824 in the Texas House of Representatives. If passed, this bill would require a court to appoint a lawyer to represent a tenant who has filed a pauper’s affidavit in an appeal of an eviction judgment.
- A tenant’s right to terminate a lease without penalty due to job loss or violent crime;
- Amounts owed to a landlord if a tenant terminates a lease early without cause;
- When a landlord may enter a rental unit;
- When a landlord may report a debt to a credit reporting agency;
- Reimbursement of utility services if the landlord uses a tenant’s electricity; and
- No discrimination based on a tenant’s source of income.
Call your state representative to let him/her know your thoughts on the proposed legislation. Find out who represents you.